Indian fire rash is also known as impetigo- a skin rash that is transmittable and contagious. It affects mostly children thought is it also prevalent in adults. Indian fire rash appears as red ulcers that vary in severity and mostly affects areas of the face such as on nose and around the mouth. It is caused mainly by bacterial infections that enter the body from skin scratches, cuts, wounds, or exposed skin from insect bites. Indian fire rash or impetigo can be caused by other reasons as well.
Complications associated with Indian fire rash
Typically, there aren’t complications linked to Indian fire rash, and in most cases, it goes way without needing any treatment usually within 3 weeks time from the time of the rash occurring. However, exposed skin may turn serious when other bacterial infections enter the body through exposed parts. When the rash turns serious, a patient may be administered topical and oral antibiotics to reduce the severity of symptoms and fight the bacteria.
What are the types of Indian fire rash?
Indian fire rash occurs in different forms. Impetigo contagiosa is the commonest form of this rash. It is also named as nonbullous impetigo. Impetigo contagiosa presents itself in reddish sores on face commonly seen near the nose and mouth. The sores tend to burst rapidly and release fluids or pus before they later form crusts. Although the sores do cause some itchiness, they may not cause pain. When the crust flakes off, it leaves a reddish spot that heals quickly and does not leave scars.
Impetigo contagiosa may not be accompanied by fever, however, in the affected area, there may occur swollen lymph nodes. Considering that Indian fire rash of the form nonbullous impetigo is contagious, if a patient scratches his or her skin or touches the sores, it could easily spread to other parts of body.
Another type of Indian fire rash is ecthyma- a severe form of the condition. This condition can penetrate and reach the second layer of the skin. A person with ecthyma may develop blisters filled with fluid or pus especially on legs and feet. The blisters may turn into ulcers. Eventually, the sores puncture out and develop a thick grayish yellow lesion. Unlike the impetigo contagiosa, the ecthyma leaves behind scars once the sores heal and the lymph nodes may swell.
A third form of Indian fire rash is bullous impetigo, which mainly occurs in children who are aged below 3 years. This conditions forms blisters filled with fluid and tend to be painless. It may occur on torso, arms, and legs. The surrounding to the affected area may turn red and become itchy. The blisters, which are small or big, rapture in a few days forming yellow appearance and last for some time.
There are two types of bacteria associated with Indian fire rash infection. Staphylococcus aureus is one of the bacteria that can cause impetigo. The other one is streptococcus pyogenes. These two kinds of bacteria are found on skin but they tend to be harmless until when they enter inside the body due to a skin exposure caused by a cut, injury or a bite by an inspection. That is only when they cause infection.
In adults, Indian fire rash can be caused by trauma on skin or some other conditions such as dermatitis or psoriasis, which affect the skin and expose it to bacteria. In children, impetigo is mostly as a result of skin exposure from insect bites, scratch on skin, cut on skin, and other possible activities, which may leave the skin open and susceptible to bacterial entry.
The contagious nature of Indian fire rash means that anyone who comes in contact with an infected part of another person or the causative bacteria may get the infection. An indirect transfer can occur when a person comes in contact with shared items such as towels, sheets, and toys.
What symptoms accompany Indian fire rash?
Although the symptoms are similar, sometimes they may vary based on age of a person and the surroundings. Among the common symptoms are swollen sores, blisters filled with pus or fluids, itching, and pain. The blisters may cause ulceration when they release pus or fluids. Sometimes, they are painless.
What is the treatment?
Complications from Indian fire rash are rarely reported but the symptoms may be severe. Indian fire rash heals on its own in most cases but when complications arise, a medical attention should be sought. People with this skin infection may be treated using antibiotics either topical or oral. A high level of personal hygiene is needed by keeping the affected area clean and dry.
In a nutshell, Indian fire rash are caused majorly due to two types of bacteria namely: Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes. Both these types of bacteria reside on the skin and are harmless until they enter inside the body through an injury or a cut thereby causing infection.
Indian fire rash pictures